Recovering Compensation for Lost Wages

If you were injured in a car accident, or some other accident caused by another person’s negligence, you will likely be eligible for financial compensation, even if your employer pays you for the missed days of work. Typically, compensation covers the costs of medical treatment, hospitalizations, and prescription medications. It also covers lost wages, which is the money you lose if the injury causes you to miss days of work. Depending on the severity of the injury, you may miss days, weeks, or months of work. In some cases, a serious injury can impact your ability to work in the future. A skilled car accident lawyer will walk you through every step of the claims process and ensure that you receive the maximum financial benefits to which you are entitled.

Injuries involving broken bones, contusions, sprains, and strains may cause you to miss several days of work for follow-up treatments, doctor’s appointments, and physical therapy. If you do not get paid days off, this can cause serious financial difficulties. To secure compensation for past lost wages, you must prove that your missed days of work were caused by your injury. You can do this by obtaining medical records from your physician and providing copies of pay stubs and income documents from the days of work missed.

Injuries that are more severe may impact your ability to work in the future. Calculating future lost wages can be tricky because it is based on the amount of money you would lose in the future, and sometimes the future is unclear. Essentially, you will need to establish the difference between the value of your services before and after your injury. To collect compensation for future wage loss, you must be able to prove that the injury is permanent and has diminished your earning capacity. You will need to provide evidence that indicates your future earning potential had you not been injured. Evidence may include the following:

Testimony from medical experts about whether a full recovery is possible, and what your capabilities and limitations may be if a full recovery is unlikely. Medical evidence that shows how your injuries will likely impact your ability to carry out your job responsibilities. Input from an expert financial professional about what your income could have been if you were not injured, and what you can expect to earn considering your physical and/or cognitive limitations resulting from the injury.

When it comes to injury claims and lawsuits, most states have laws that say the injured person is entitled to reimbursement for income they lose while recovering from their injuries. If you’re out of work due to injury, you’ll need a “work slip” or other written proof from your medical provider showing the dates you’re unable to work. Lost income includes all wages, benefits, and perks that are included in a worker’s “total compensation package.” You have the right to demand reimbursement for lost income from your base pay, and the financial value of other benefits you rely on from your employer.

Lost income claims may include base pay, overtime, sick and vacation days, bonuses and commissions as well as retirement fund contributions. Think about any other types of benefits you receive from your employer that you lost because you were out of work after an injury. The at-fault party, or their insurance company, should reimburse you for your total lost income.

Remember, each case is unique, so contact HURT-511 for more information on workers’ comp statute and our personal injury lawyers help injured workers recover the benefits to which they are entitled by law. For a free consultation with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer, call us toll-free at 800-4878-511 or complete our online form. Our firm handles accident and injury claims throughout all five boroughs of New York.

HURT-511 operates in all boroughs of New York including all Bronx neighborhoods, namely: Bedford Park, Belmont, Fordham, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Jerome Park, Kingsbridge, Morris Park, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Parkchester, Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil, Throgs Neck, University Heights and Woodlawn.