Auto-Accidents FAQ - HURT-511

Auto-Accidents FAQ

A car accident can be a very traumatic and often a life-altering experience for that leaves everyone involved, leaving its participants confused with many unanswered questions. If you have been in a car accident, either in a driver or a passenger capacity, call HURT-511 for a free consultation with any of our experienced automotive accident attorneys or read on for answers to the most common questions asked by car crash victims.

What should I do right after a car accident?

  • The urgency with which you proceed immediately after a car accident can and will affect how your claim is processed. The cardinal rule to remember is to never leave the scene of the accident if for no other reason than having to face criminal charges regardless of whether or not you were at fault.
  • The initial step is to call 911 if anyone involved in the accident has been hurt. Then call the police to the scene and file an accident report, but remember not to admit liability – that’ll be thoroughly investigated later. Get the names and contact information of everyone involved including all witnesses. Also, take as many picture of the scene, damage to all vehicles involved and bodily injuries as you can.

What information do I need to file a claim?

To successfully file a claim for a vehicular accident, it is imperative to gather as much information as possible, which usually includes

  • the contact information for everyone involved
  • the contact information for all witnesses
  • a thorough account of how the accident occurred,
  • photographs of the scene of and bodily injuries accident at the time of the accident

What to do if I was involved in a hit-and-run?

  • Just like you would in any other accident, first call the police to report being a victim of a hit-and-run, then collect the contact information of any witnesses, take photographs of the scene and seek medical attention.

What to do if the other driver is uninsured?

  • You can look for compensation from your insurance vendor under underinsured and uninsured motorist (UM or UIM) coverage policy. However, not every state requires the inclusion of UM or UIM in auto insurance policies, so the only remaining option may be filing a personal suit against the uninsured driver.

Note: UIM/UM coverage is usually very affordable and a reliable way to ensure your and your loved ones’ welling in the event of a serious accident.

At HURT-511, our personal injury lawyers help injured workers recover the benefits to which they are entitled by law. For a free consultation with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer, call us toll-free at 800-4878-511 or complete our online form. Our firm handles accident and injury claims throughout all five boroughs of New York.

HURT-511 operates in all boroughs of New York including all Bronx neighborhoods, namely: Bedford Park, Belmont, Fordham, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Jerome Park, Kingsbridge, Morris Park, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Parkchester, Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil, Throgs Neck, University Heights